Physical therapy offers significant benefits in the conservative management of joint damage and disease, to prepare for surgery, and for recovery after surgery. Physical therapists are professionals who evaluate and treat patients of all ages who have health problems that affect their ability to move and perform the essential functions and activities of daily life.
The goal of physical therapy is to rehabilitate you after injury and surgery to a healthy level of functioning, facilitate return to play, adopt activities and lifestyle changes to help prevent future injury and improve your overall health and wellness.
What are the benefits of orthopedic physical therapy?
- Relieve pain with therapeutic exercises, manual therapy, taping, heat and cold therapy, and electrical stimulation.
- Restore muscle function and range of motion for healthy joint function to prevent recurrent pain.
- Avoid surgery if physical therapy eliminates pain and restores function, especially for patients with arthritis.
- Improve physical health before surgery to recover more quickly after surgery.
- Improve mobility with stretching and strengthening exercises and help with adapting to assistive devices like canes and crutches.
- Recover from a traumatic or sports injury and prevent future injury.
- Manage age-related issues like osteoporosis and arthritis.
- Improve balance and reduce fall risk.
- Prevent physical disability, promote fitness and health, and improve a patient’s quality of life.
Physical therapy is integrated into your care at Grossmont Orthopaedics at all stages of healing from your initial diagnosis to restorative and preventive recovery. Working with your Grossmont Orthopaedic surgeon, your Grossmont physical therapist will create a customized treatment plan to restore, maintain and promote optimal physical function, wellness and fitness.
Physical therapy and conservative management of orthopedic conditions.
Physical therapy plays a key role in the conservative management of orthopedic injuries including traumatic and overuse injuries as well as degenerative conditions. Conservative management also includes medications, injections, and splinting. In many cases, physical therapy can help you avoid surgery. Even if you need surgery, physical therapy can make you stronger and because you are in better shape you can recover more quickly from surgery.
Physical therapy and total knee replacement
Same day physical therapy (in the hospital) after total knee replacement leads to improved performance and decreased opioid consumption. Total knee replacements are on the rise. Early mobilization after surgery has demonstrated benefits including enhanced postoperative recovery, reduced length of hospital stays, earlier hospital discharge, better performance, and reduced pain medications.
Rehabilitation with physical therapy is a vital component of your orthopedic care at Grossmont Orthopaedics. Our physical therapists are devoted to your care and will work with you to help you to recover from injury or surgery, find relief from chronic pain, regain strength and endurance, and help you heal.
Contact Grossmont Orthopaedics to schedule a consultation with one of our board-certified orthopedists who will evaluate your condition and recommend treatment options and physical therapy for recovery.