Sport medicine orthopedic surgeons are uniquely trained and experienced to care for all levels of athletes both on and off the field or court. We specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of patients suffering from a wide range of injuries to the hip, knee, shoulder and more, which can occur from many activities but are most commonly the result of some strenuous physical activity, like playing sports. Whether you are an armchair athlete or engages in aggressive sports, a sports medicine specialisy can help get you back to full activity quickly.
What is a Sports Medicine Specialist?
A sports medicine specialists is an orthopedic surgeon with significant specialized training in both the treatment and prevention of sports related injuries. This involves specialized fellowship training in surgery as well as extensive on-field experience dealing with injuries at the high school, college, professional and Olympic level. A sports medicine specialist helps patients maximize function and minimize disability and time away from sports, work, or school. As a sports medicine specialist, we are uniquely connected to a wide range of experts in San Diego, including physical therapists and other specialists that share our passion and approach to the treatment and recovery that focuses on return to play as quickly as possible.
Examples of sports medicine related problems include:
- Acute injuries: muscle strains, knee and shoulder injuries, and fractures
- Ligament tears: anterior cruciate ligament tears, medial collateral ligament tears and more
- Overuse injuries: rotator cuff and other forms of tendonitis, stress fractures
- Medical and injection therapies for osteoarthritis
- Concussion (mild traumatic brain injury) and other head injuries
- Nutrition, supplements, ergogenic aids, and performance issues
- Exercise prescription for patients who want to increase their fitness
- Injury prevention
- Recommendations on safe strength training and conditioning exercises
- Healthy lifestyle promotion
You don’t have to be a professional athlete to benefit from the specialized training of a sports medicine specialist. Learn more about our areas of expertise by visiting our treatments page.